The Benefits of Ceramic Tile
Why Ceramic Tiles are a Great Choice for Your Floors, Walls, Backsplashes and More
Ceramic tile is one of the most popular flooring choices used in homes and offices throughout the United States and around the world. Ceramic tile is also a popular choice for walls, backsplashes, showers and more. Used in just about every room in a home, ceramic tile is beneficial for you and your home. It’s beneficial for you because it’s environmentally friendly, reduces household allergens, increases your home’s value and is one of the smartest flooring choices around. Practical, functional and beautiful all describe ceramic tiles. From the many sizes, shapes and textures, you’ll be amazed at all the choices you have for designing your dream floor, backsplash or wall. Read below to learn some more ceramic tile benefits.
Benefits of Ceramic Tile
- Environmentally friendly – Ceramic tiles are made from raw materials, including clay, sand and glass. These materials are combined with other recycled materials to form ceramic tile. Many ceramic tiles are made from recyclable content. Ceramic tile can also help to reduce your energy use (and bills) by keeping your house cooler in the summer. They also add some insulating qualities to your home for the winter.
- Low maintenance – Ceramic tiles are easy to maintain, from simple cleaning to optional sealing over time. Beside cleaning, there is no special maintenance involved.
- Easy to clean – Sweep and wash! It doesn’t get simpler and cleaner than that. Ceramic floors make excellent kitchen floors as they can be easily wiped and disinfected from spills. If the grout gets dirtier than you like, you can use a specially formulated grout cleaner to help get the dirt off.
- Cost – Ceramic tiles are cost effective. As with all tiles, the more high end the tile you choose, the higher the cost of the project; the more detailed the design, the more you’ll pay. On average, ceramic tiles cost from $1 to $15 per square foot for materials and $3 to $8 per square foot for installation.
- Repairable – Got a crack? Make sure to keep a few extra tiles around in the event of a crack. You can attempt to replace the tile yourself or find a handyman or tile contractor to do it for you.
- Endless style and design options – There are literally thousands of different ceramic tiles around the world. The shapes, colors, styles and designs are vast.
- Increase your home value – Ceramic tiled homes have greater resale value and homes with ceramic floors have a higher general home value when appraised.
- Scratch resistant – Class 3 and Class 4 ceramic tiles (tiles which are made for moderate to heavy floor traffic) don’t scratch.
- Reduces household allergens – Unlike carpets and rugs, ceramic tile does not attract dust and dust mites. Homes with ceramic floor tiles have less dust in the air, making the air in your home much healthier by reducing the amount of household allergens. This is a fantastic benefit, especially for those who suffer from dust-related allergies.
- Moisture resistant – You won’t have to worry about accumulation of moisture in ceramic tiles. You can also wash the floor with lots of water if desired. Unlike wood floors, water will not damage ceramic tiles.
- Additional benefits – Resistant to fire, odor and fading.
Ceramic Tile Resources
- World Floor Covering Association – Lots of information about ceramic floor care and tile types.
- Daltile Corporation – View hundreds of tiles from one of the leaders in ceramic tiles
- Mohawk Flooring
- Ceramic Tile Warehouse – Retailers and distributors of fine ceramic tiles
Find local, reliable ceramic tile installers. Fill out the form below.